Saturday, July 24, 2010

Farmers Kitchen ; Atlantic, Iowa

So due to some interesting events, me and my girl Christina ended up in Atlatic iowa. In this lil comunitee we found a mechanic working late so he got us a new tire and we asked him "where is the place to eat in town" so he pointed us to farmers market, so I called and asked what time they close, the response was "bout 20 minutes but come on down" so we get there and the scene is a nice little quaint place that has a down home feel. Complete with self done repairs on the seats.
Now for the food. For an appetizer the waitress recomended the fried pickle spears. They were very well done with a thin hand battered coating, fried perfectly golden brown.
My next choice was to try some award winning chili, won the award in 2007. Marks chili(as its called) was very thick and hearty with amazing flavor, for those of u who know me and think that means it will set u on fire u are wrong,the seasoning was perfect and I enjoy being able to see what is in my chili.
The next menu item was their hamburger steak. This was half poud fresh beef cooked slightly less than medium well,upon request, with thick cut white mushrooms sauteed perfectly and a good hearty beef gravy. Each item by its self was a treat then tasting them all to gether was just amazing.
The side that went with that was mashed potatoes. Made fresh everyday hand peeled mashed potatos. With the beef gravy. What more can I say they definitely know how to please the locals with them.
Next I had their country fried steak. This was unique. The cut was thick, and it was panfried so it wasn't the thin crispy version I was used to. Now there was one downfall to this, cause of the thickness it made it a little tough to chewbut this could easily be fixed by tenderizing the meat more. But enjoyed the flavor.
The sides that I chose were the Farmer Fries (plain unseasoned potato wedges) were a little bit of a disappointment, but the sage dressing was perfect. It had a great consistency and all the flavors were mixed well.
For desert I had a piece of their blue ribbon winning peanutbutter explosion pie. This was a rich and well enjoyed desert even though I had to wait to eat it since I didn't have room for it after all the food.

Overall I would say this restraunt is a must to revisit if I'm in the area and for anyone traveling I-80 between nebraska and des moines. The price was definitely a fair price for the amount of food that was given. Making it a value also. My rating is 4.7 /5

No comments:

Post a Comment